Goop and Plasti-Steel

Archives

Goop and Plasti-Steel

Postby Archives » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:52 pm

Builder

02/01/09 at 02:55 PM Reply with quote #1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently purchased and received some Superplastic Goop. It seems to be pretty good stuff! I like it! I was just wondering what has been the experience of others as far as, how hard is Superplastic Goop supposed to get after baking it. I'm sure the phrase "Hard as Steel" is a bit overstated. Of course, plastic is never as hard as steel, but how hard should it be? The Superplastic Goop is certainly harder than regular goop, but is still rather flexible. Is this normal? I was hoping for something that would bake up hard like styrene, or even nylon or delrin. What temperature is best for Superplastic Goop and what baking times are normally used?

Archives

Re: Goop and Plasti-Steel

Postby Archives » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:54 pm

dr_goop

03/05/09 at 03:28 AM Reply with quote #2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope to give my unbiased account as a user. I agree, it ain't as hard as steel. But, I do find variations in SuperPlastic/Plasti-Steel mostly depending on how well the sample is mixed and that is largely due to settling. But in the end, how hard should Super-Plastic be???????????????????
First understand that it is a plasticized(softened) PVC material.
I designed the modern Super-Plastic to simulate the Topper SuperPlastic. That is, hard yet flexible, so our toys would hold their shape well but not be brittle and fragile. I like that it will not break but no, it is not like polystyrene. If that is what you want go for a non-plasticized polymer. I have worked with delrin but understand that most machinable polymers are not plasticized.
I find that Super-Plastic gels best between 285-315 F. The range discrepancy is due to desired turnaround time and material thickness. If time is not an issue go for the lower temp because you will avoid burning (smoke) and it will gel in 20 min or so per cm of material. But if you can't wait you can push it at higher temps to get done faster but don't let it burn! In other words, it is up to you, dependent upon the mold and how fast you want it. I like the lower temps, no burning,,and I work on several molds at a time.

Archives

Postby Archives » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:55 pm

Builder

03/05/09 at 07:38 PM Reply with quote #3

Hi Dr. Goop,
Thanks for the information regarding Plasti-Steel. What you have said makes sense. My experience follows what you have said about baking times and temperatures for Plasti-Steel.

Is there something that will pour into an open mold and bake rather hard like styrene?

Archives

Postby Archives » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:56 pm

Edouglass

03/05/09 at 08:11 PM Reply with quote #4

I think if you tried to use anything that became as hard as Styrene it would be very hard to remove from the mold,, but I have some spiders I made from Plasti-Craft Super Plastic to use as a master to make our new "Goop is Back" limited edition metal pins and it is extremely hard,, I did over cook it a bit,,
next step Hi temp mold, then pour metal, stay tuned,,
Ed
Attachments
archive98.jpg

Return to “Archives of the FUN WITH GOOP forum”