New to the forum, but what is the best Creepy crawler maker?

Anyone can read and search for topics but only registered members can post new topics and responses
rdckstr1253

New to the forum, but what is the best Creepy crawler maker?

Postby rdckstr1253 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:56 pm

Like the title states, I just recently got back into wanting to make creepy crawlers and was wondering what is the best maker to buy? I know the old 60's version is supposedly the best but being I was born in the 80's, I rather get a newer machine. I was looking at the super maker machine or even the star wars one. Was there a jurassic park machine?

On another note, nice to meet you guys!

Megojim

Re: New to the forum, but what is the best Creepy crawler ma

Postby Megojim » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:53 pm

I'd stick with th original. Nothing cooks them as fast
2 Cor 5:7 - for we walk by faith, not by sight

dr_goop
Site Admin

Postby dr_goop » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:31 am

Jim is right, the old 60's oven cooks the fastest, but it only cooks one at a time and doesn't fit the larger post 60's molds. The Toymax and Jakks ovens fit all the molds but they cook really slow and you still can only cook one at a time. I use and highly recomend a toaster oven. I picked up a really cheap Black and Decker toaster oven at the trift store. It came with a metal tray that I use to hold up to six molds at a time. That is really important if you are having a family bug fest night and everyone is makin' 'em. It also has a window so you can watch them cook. I don't use the toast mode, I just set the temp for a hair above 300 F. I have even heard of people using cookie sheets in the regular oven for big bug making parties.

CDMAN

Postby CDMAN » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:10 pm

I teach Polymer Clay classes, and the first thing I always tell people is get a good oven thermometer to put in the toaster over. If you go that route, it will help as the oven temp dials are not very accurate. Also remember to preheat the oven, as the heating element will get up to 450 degrees before the cavity heats to 300 or 325. I use 3 toaster ovens, but I still love the old Toymax Bug's Life model. The Super oven will fit 2 regular sized Toymax molds, and I have not seen a Jurassic park model. BUT Hey, if you are a Star Wars Fan get that Oven and the molds and BE HAPPY! If you are looking for just an oven have you tried http://austinthompson.org/Thingmaker/main.shtm ? MJ has an nice web site.

Return to “Message Board”