First run at dr shriek -opinions & advice please-

Anyone can read and search for topics but only registered members can post new topics and responses
Megojim

First run at dr shriek -opinions & advice please-

Postby Megojim » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:07 pm

I took a stab at molding the pieces for my dr shriek today. Results are as follows:
- Replacement Plasti-steel is awesome. It even smelled right. The colors are perfect!
- not sure I filled the molds correctly: I pulled a jpg of the original instructions of the archived site but they were hard to read and based on my results I know I didn't do something correctly. I understood the directions to say fill body parts to the top and the head pieces to 1/8" from the top. I followed this to a tee. RESULTS: when I placed the top half of the mold a VAST amount of goop pored out the vent holes and along the edges. At that point I had to just cook it and see wht happened. I let it cook 30 minutes and cool another 15. The unmolding process was fairly difficult due to the excess goop that had cooked on top. After I unmolded the pieces the head was perfect, the legs were mostly ok but did have some of the turquoise mixed in from the overflow. The arms were a completely different story. I poured in the white to the top of that forearm section on the bottom half of the mold. I used the turquoise for the hands. When I placed the upper half of the mold I noticed the upper half of the arm was rather large and wondered how the white would fill that section. When I unmolded, only the inside portion of the forearm was white, the rest of the arm was turquoise. Thus I need some help from an experienced person.
- Where do you fill the head portions to?
- How do you fill the arms?
- What type of glue does one use to put the pieces together?

Sorry for the rant, but thought the description would be of benefit to offering advice

Thanks
Jim
2 Cor 5:7 - for we walk by faith, not by sight

dr_goop
Site Admin

Re: First run at dr shriek -opinions & advice please-

Postby dr_goop » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:33 pm

Jim,
I saw the pictures of your Dr. Shriek and OG Ogre on the MMM facebook page. Great Job! I was wondering how you solved your problem. I would guess that you first put the white in the hand and baked those seperatly. Then I'll guess that you put the mold halves together and filled with the second color using the large air vents on top of the top mold half. Am I close?

Megojim

Re: First run at dr shriek -opinions & advice please-

Postby Megojim » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:52 pm

I tried that but no dice,the way these molds work they count on the over flow from the heads to fill the other parts. Thus using one color is best and then just painting them. Wish I had known tht before I ordered that goop from you. I would have left out the white and black. No big deal, I'm having a blast!
2 Cor 5:7 - for we walk by faith, not by sight

Return to “Message Board”