how to bake plastigoop with a lamp

Anyone can read and search for topics but only registered members can post new topics and responses
judyjowers

how to bake plastigoop with a lamp

Postby judyjowers » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:50 pm

I would like to bake plasti-goop but do not have a toy oven. The plastic would illustrate well the difference between temperature induced cross-linking in plastics vs. chemical cross-linking. How can I bake the plasti-goop with a lamp?

dr_goop
Site Admin

Re: how to bake plastigoop with a lamp

Postby dr_goop » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:13 pm

In order to get the plasti-goop to cure properly it must get up to 290-315 F. Any hotter and it might burn. Lower and it might not fully cure. Lower takes longer, higher is much faster. I personally use a Black and Decker toaster over and just dial the temperature and watch through the window. The contemporary ovens do use a light bulb. A heat lamp might work. You could put the lamp right over the mold or put the mold on top of a bulb with a flat face like a flood light. No matter what set up you use you must follow the temperature rules stated above. You might be able to take an old cookie box tin and make a hole big enought to get a light bulb in and that way the box might help retain the heat and do a better job of cooking your goop.

I wouldn't think of Plasti-goop in the context of cross linking in plastics. I would think of plasti-goop as gelling just like Jello. The resin is suspended in a solution that is a poor solvent at room temp, but is a great solvent at high temperatures. In Plasti-goop the polymer is wrapped up in a little ball and all the microscopic balls make the Plasti-goop look milky. When the polymers melt they unravel and diffuse into a homogeneous dispersion that then looks more translucent.

Hope that helps.

omnichi1962

Re: how to bake plastigoop with a lamp

Postby omnichi1962 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:20 am

I use an electric pancake griddle that I bought for $30 at Walmart. It is so large that I can bake several molds at once. I set it for 350 degrees and rarely burn the Goop as long as I pay attention. Sometimes I put aluminum foil over the molds, if the Goop is extra thick.

Joseph Jester

Return to “Message Board”