How do you remove the super plastic from the car mold?

Anyone can read and search for topics but only registered members can post new topics and responses
Deed

How do you remove the super plastic from the car mold?

Postby Deed » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:02 am

Every time I try, I break it! Help! :-)

Thanks!

dr_goop
Site Admin

Re: How do you remove the super plastic from the car mold?

Postby dr_goop » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:14 pm

When superplastic is hot or even warm to the touch, it is soft and rips easily. Make sure the mold and the superplastic inside are cooled completely to room temp. One thing you could do is run cool water over the mold or immerse it in water. Let us know if that helps.

sciboy33

Postby sciboy33 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:07 pm

Deed, I've found a mold release agent that I use, in my '64 era metal molds, just a light spray gives my creepy crawlers a shiny new luster and perhaps more importantly for you makes removal a snap, they almost slide out of the plates ,this might also help in removal in your car molding attempts . The mold release is Ultra -4 urethane parafilm by PD, Price Driscoll. I found it at Glenmarc Systems in Chicago,Il. on the internet. Hope that helps!!! sciboy33

dr_goop
Site Admin

Postby dr_goop » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:12 pm

It sounds like the mold might be slightly dirty from oxidation. If that is the case maybe polishing the inside of the mold with a dremel would help. I like sciboys suggestion of mold release. A Teflon spray is what I use on other molding projects as a release agent since Teflon has a good heat stability. You can get it online or at hobby stores. I checked out the Teflon spray can dry lubricant that they sell at bike stores and it works too.

Return to “Message Board”